Tuesday, January 19, 2010

In Case I Confused You, I'm NOT Quitting! (Here's What I'll Be Doing)

[This post has two sections: Background on why I left Jack Britt, and the 4 things I'm focusing on this spring.]
Sorry for being unclear: I still work with Rush/Gen Ignite!
I thrive on change and I love new challenges--and I got ahead of myself and didn't explain carefully enough to the people who make all this possible what I am doing (you, my faithful financial supporters). Please forgive me. And by the way, when the time comes for me to leave Gen Ignite/Rush, I promise you are going to hear about it from me personally (not electronically).



The Story Behind My Departure from Jack Britt High School:
1. Summer of 2009: Shawn Withy-Allen (Director of Gen Ignite/Rush) and I discussed the future of our ministry at Jack Britt. My written job description included preparing the Rush ministry at Jack Britt to be handed off to a new leader. This would give younger leaders a chance to grow in leadership and ministry, and give me the freedom to think beyond just one campus and instead focus on the bigger picture--raising up more leaders to impact young students in our city.

2. Entire Fall Semester 2009: my number one goal (almost as important as brushing my teeth each day) was to build a team of leaders that will carry a burden to influence Jack Britt students. For a description of that effort, click on the link in the previous sentence to go straight to that blog post (or scroll down two posts ago to the zebra picture).

3. Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 4 pm: I met with the Jack Britt leadership team one last time to say goodbye and make it official--I'm out, and they will continue to move forward aggressively on their own. I have to include their names here again because they are champions: Peter McCarthy (new team leader), Kevin Ortiz, Rachel Choi, Lindsey Leach.

Four Things I'm Focusing On This Spring:
1. Rush Leader Round Tables
This one's a secret--I've only told one other person. First, let me explain a problem. Rush has been actively involved on Fayetteville public school campuses for 4-5 years, but to this point each campus and its student leaders have been isolated. The students at one school can't inspire and learn from students at another. They can't share ideas, challenge one another, spur each other on to build life-giving clubs. We're trying to fix this problem by networking leaders through the "Rush Leader Round Tables"--small, informal gatherings where student leaders from different campuses share "tricks of the trade," develop relationships, and assist one another in making Fayetteville campuses better.

2. Leader of Creative Team
I am continuing my post as leader of the creative team. My number one goal is to create a culture where people feel the burden to train and teach with excellence in order to help each leader and each student experience meaningful growth. Our creative team recently evaluated how our ministry trains volunteer leaders to mentor. Currently we are studying together how to best train our leaders. (If you want a great free resource, check out The Seven Laws of Teaching by John Milton Gregory, full text available here.)

3. Campus Ministry Advisor
I serve as an advisor to two of our Gen Ignite heroes, Jake Ray and Peter McCarthy. These guys are full-time college students who also lead Rush clubs on public school campuses. They are in the same position I was two years ago this month--when I first took over the Rush Club at Jack Britt High School. The wonderful thing about my position is that when you invest in me, you are investing in other leaders who are training other students to impact other students and on and on.

4. Leadership Development
I work with other members of the Gen Ignite team to develop strong leaders who will mentor students. This involves conversations with leaders, leaders meetings, explaining our vision, special outings (e.g. group outreaches, appreciation events for volunteers), etc.

1 comment:

  1. Blogging emotions 101 - The number of comments that you receive does not convey the number of active readers that read weekly.

    But just because... I like to see comments, because I think that this post demands a response... I had to leave one.

    Dave you have the biggest heart, the most submitted mind... and the best form of communication that I have ever known.

    Pete

    ReplyDelete